NiMH battery packs are rechargeable batteries commonly used in portable electronics, toys, and other devices. NiMH battery packs comprise individual NiMH battery cells connected in series or parallel to provide the desired voltage and capacity. The cells contain a positive electrode of nickel hydroxide, a negative electrode of a hydrogen-absorbing alloy, and an electrolyte that allows ions to flow between the electrodes. NiMH battery packs offer a reliable and cost-effective solution for portable power needs. Proper care and maintenance can provide long-lasting and reliable power for a wide range of devices.
Weijiang Power provides customized NiMH battery packs in various sizes and shapes, from small button cells to large prismatic cells. To maximize the performance and lifespan of your NiMH battery pack, it is important to condition and use them properly. Here are some tips for conditioning and using NiMH battery packs.
Condition the New NiMH Battery Pack Before First Use
When you first get a new NiMH battery pack, it is recommended to fully charge and discharge it for 3-5 cycles before using it. This helps calibrate the battery pack and achieves its maximum capacity.
You shall follow the below steps to condition the new battery pack.
1. Fully charge the battery pack according to the charger's instructions. Typically, charging a NiMH battery pack fully takes 3 to 5 hours.
2. Once charged, use or discharge the battery pack until completely drained. Do not recharge in between discharges.
3. Repeat the charge and discharge cycle 3 to 5 times. This helps the battery pack achieve its maximum rated capacity.
4. The battery pack is now conditioned and ready for regular use. Be sure to recharge it fully before storing it or using it to power devices.
Use a Compatible NiMH Battery Pack Charger
Only use a charger that is specifically designed for the NiMH battery pack. A compatible NiMH battery pack charger will fully charge your battery pack without overcharging which can damage the cells. It will also cut off charging at the appropriate time.
Most quality NiMH battery packs will include a compatible charger. However, if need to purchase one separately, look for a charger labeled as "NiMH battery pack" or "Nickel-Metal Hydride battery pack". These chargers use a pulse charging method specific to NiMH battery pack.
Avoid Overcharging and Undercharging
Never leave NiMH battery pack in the charger for over a few days after it has finished charging. Overcharging NiMH battery pack can significantly reduce their lifespan.
Similarly, avoid undercharging or draining NiMH battery pack completely flat. While an occasional full discharge during conditioning is fine, frequent full discharges can also reduce the number of recharge cycles. For most NiMH battery pack, discharge them to about 20% then recharge.
Here are a few more tips for properly using and maintaining NiMH battery packs.
• Avoid extreme heat or cold. NiMH battery pack perform best in normal room temperatures. Extreme heat or cold can reduce performance and lifespan.
• For long term storage, discharge NiMH battery pack to about 40% then store in a cool location. Storing fully charged or depleted batteries for a long time can cause permanent damage.
• Expect self-discharge during storage. NiMH battery pack will gradually self-discharge even when not in use or storage. For every month of storage, expect 10-15% loss in capacity. Be sure to recharge before use.
• Avoid dropping or physical damage. Physical impacts or drops can potentially cause internal short circuits and permanent damage to NiMH battery pack. Handle NiMH battery packs with care.
• Replace old or non-performing NiMH battery packs. Most NiMH battery packs will last 2-5 years depending on usage and proper maintenance. Replace NiMH battery packs if they no longer hold a charge or are not powering devices as expected.
By following these conditioning, usage and maintenance tips, you can maximize the performance and lifespan of your NiMH battery pack. Condition new batteries, avoid over or undercharging, use a compatible charger, protect them from extreme heat/cold and physical damage, limit self-discharge during long term storage, and replace old or non-performing batteries. With proper care and handling, your NiMH battery pack will provide years of powerful and eco-friendly power.
NiMH Battery Packs FAQs
Q1: What is conditioning a NiMH battery pack, and why is it necessary?
A1: Conditioning a NiMH battery pack involves charging and discharging it several times to improve its performance and capacity. It is necessary because NiMH batteries can develop a memory effect, which can cause them to lose capacity over time.
Q2: How to revive the NiMH battery pack?
A2: Use DVM to measure the total output voltage of the battery pack. Caleulation=Total output voltage, the number of cells. You may revive the pack if the result exceeds 1.0V/well.
Q3: What are the best applications for NiMH battery packs?
A3: Most applications with high energy consumption and demands are where NiMH battery packs excel.
Q4: Does the case for NiMH custom battery packs requires a vent similar to Lithium chemistry?
A4: The main gases NiMH batteries release when they are overcharged or over-discharged are hydrogen and oxygen. The battery case should not be airtight and should be strategically ventilated. Isolation of the battery from heat-generating components and ventilation around the battery will also reduce thermal stress on the battery and simplify the design of a proper charging system.
Q5: How to test the NiMH battery pack？
A5: Ni-MH battery packs can be tested with analytical instruments
Q6: How do I store NiMH battery packs?
A6: To store NiMH battery packs, keep them in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Avoid storing them in a fully charged or fully discharged state for extended periods, as this can damage the battery.
Q7: How to recharge the NiMH battery pack?
A7: NiMH battery packs include 3.6V, 4.8V, 6V, 7.2V, 8.4V, 9.6V and 12V. The battery parameter arrangement and plug description are detailed under the battery diagram.
Q8: How to buy the right NiMH battery pack?
A8: When buying a NiMH battery pack, several factors must be considered to ensure you get the right one, like capacity, voltage, sizes, shapes, chargers, and prices. Considering these factors, you can choose the right NiMH battery pack.
Q9: Can I use a NiMH battery pack in any battery device?
A9: No, not all devices are compatible with NiMH battery packs. Check the device's manual to see if it is compatible with NiMH batteries or consult with the battery manufacturer.
Q10: What should I do if my NiMH battery pack is not holding a charge?
A10: If your NiMH battery pack is not holding a charge, it may need to be conditioned or replaced. Contact the manufacturer for a replacement or repair if it is under warranty.
Post time: Oct-22-2022